🌮 Empanada 🖉
1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 piece medium-sized onion, minced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 cup potato, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup green peas
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 piece chicken cube
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 cups flour
4 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp water, cold
1 piece raw egg
1 cup butter, cold
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Cook the Filing
- In a heated pan, pour the cooking oil and allow to heat-up
- Saute the garlic and onions
- Add the chicken breast then cook until color turns light brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add water and chicken cube then simmer for 10 minutes
- Put-in carrots and potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the green peas, raisins, and sugar then simmer for another 5 minutes
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, drain the excess liquid, and set aside.
Make the dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients starting from the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt then mix well.
- Cut the butter into small thin pieces place in the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.(the butter should be cold and solid before doing this)
- Add water gradually and mix all the ingredients thoroughly until a dough is formed. You may use a pastry blender to easen the process.
- Divide the dough into individual pieces by grabbing a piece from the whole mixture and rolling it in your hand until a spherical shape is formed. Do this until all the dough is consumed. Set aside in a cool place for at least 20 minutes
- Flatten the spherical dough py pressing it with your palm against a flat surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten it fully while creating a round shape.
Put it together
- Place some filling at the middle of the flattened dough. Fold the dough so that opposite ends meet (you should have formed a half moon shaped dough)then press the edges and seal. (refer to the video for the technique)
- After all the fillings are consumed, crack the egg and separate the white from the yolk. Beat the egg white lightly and mix a little water.Glaze the crust by brushing the egg wash.
- Put a wax paper on top of a baking tray or grease the baking tray then arranged the sealed doughs.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Bake the sealed doughs for 25 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!